Thursday, June 16, 2011

A Tribute to Teddy

In yesterday's blog I mentioned that returning from camp last summer, my son mentioned that he missed our dog, Teddy, the most.


I remember feeling that way about our Cocker Spaniel, Buffy.  He was a boy-dont' ask why he was named "Buffy" cause I don't know.


Buffy would bring me comfort a lot.  Being the youngest of four girls, I not only had two parents, but three older sisters to "instruct me" as to the way I should go.  Sometimes the instruction was not appreciated and the only solace I could find was my dog.  We'd sit in my closet and cry until we fell asleep without dinner and woke up the next morning in time for school.  HA!  That last part was a fabrication for dramatic effect.  However, Buffy did give me comfort when it felt like the people in my world were all mad at me.


This spring I discovered a phenomenon.  I think I'll call it "canine comfort", or maybe "puppy pick-me-ups" or.........well,you get the picture.


My little girl was having a dramatic morning.  This was not an uncommon occurrence.  She had hit the childhood drama queen phase that girls go through.  Not to be confused with the adolescent or teenager drama phases, this one is the precursor to the others.  It is to prepare terrified parents of things to come.


We called them "grouchies" and we had to instigate a rule about them.  She was getting dangerously close to her "grouchy" limit and was going to have some privileges taken away.  As that sometimes punishes her caregiver (me), I didn't want that to happen when she was soooo close to getting out the door for school.  She was crying and Dad was about to lay down the law and I had to think fast. I told her, "you didn't get to give Teddy a hug".  "Teddy would be so sad if you didn't hug and kiss him before you left for school."  I promptly picked up the dog and shoved him toward her.  She promptly smiled and snuggled and hugged him.  Teddy had no choice in the matter.  He had no desire to be near the weeping and wailing.  But once he was in her reach, her world was back on track again and that was what mattered the most. 


That reminded me of what my boy said on the way home from camp last year.  Those events inspired me to compose a poem or lyrics to a song, praising the virtues of the curly little fur ball.






 "A tribute to Teddy".

When you're down and feeling blue,
and you don't know how you can pull this day through,
Just give Teddy a hug.

When the morning rush has got you sad,
and everyone you know is making you mad,
Just give Teddy a hug.

His hair is curly, his nose is black,
his kisses are wet, he's got your back.
He'll listen to your woes, won't give you any flack,
oh, just give Teddy a hug.

When everyone you know is bossing you around,
and life has got you flat on the ground,
you know to just give Teddy, 
cause he's always ready,
oh, just give Teddy a hug.











Much love and many laughs,

A























No comments:

Post a Comment