Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Nostalgia, affirmations, and chopped liver.

Camp.

You send you child there.  

You spend the next six days wondering what he's doing.  

You're thinking of him.  He's not thinking of you.

It is as it should be.  He is having a blast!  

With modern technology, I can go and find posted photos of the campers.  He looks happy.  Incredibly happy!

This makes me happy.  

It causes me to relive my camp experiences.  I loved camp.  I went every year we had a group going.  I enjoyed the nightly pow wow's with camp style music.  I loved swimming whenever it could be fit in.  It was a hoot attempting to toss your camp counselor in the pool with all her clothes on.  Good times!

I'm glad he's experiencing this.  He will look back on this with wonderful memories.

Last year, he got sad when he left camp.  It's always hard to scatter to the four winds and go back home.  When you spend a week with other kids your age, you go home on an emotional high.  

I used to get that way when I went on youth choir trips.  You'd spend the day on a bus with your walkman and your closest friend.  You'd stop at a church and eat lasagna and salad or a casserole.  You'd give a rousing musical performance (with light choreography).  Then, you'd go back to the hotel and swim or talk or maybe joke around with the guys on the trip.  You didn't have to have a "crush" on any of them.  It was just learning how to be around those odd people we called boys.

Side note:  My senior year, we sang in various churches.  One of which my dad later was called to be the pastor.  These churches were quite a distance from each other.  Our home church was in MO and the other in FL.   We had a connection to the church, but I didn't realize it was the same one until I stepped inside the sanctuary.  Bizarro!

So now I'm the parent that stays behind.  It's a weird.  I still feel 14 years old in my heart.  But time marches on.  I can tell it in the mirror.  And I guess it's true because I now have grown up furniture.

At the end of camp last year,  (after the "trying to locate all his belongings" debacle, )we hopped in the car all abuzz with anticipation about the stories that he would tell us.  Then he inquired about his sister and dog.  Little Sis was spending the night with the folks.  Furball taken care of too.  Then my son told me something that solidified my suspicions about the pecking order around our house.

He said "no offense, but I really missed Teddy the most."










It' o.k.  It's all right.  I'm getting used to things like that..... thought the chopped liver.

Another side note:  Why is it when someone begins a comment with "no offense",  it is always going to offend?  It's like the old joke that you can say anything about someone as long as you begin with either "God bless them...." or "Bless their heart.....".  Because when you begin with that, you only have the person's best interests at heart.  HA!

"B, it's o.k. if you missed Teddy the most" I said.  I get it.  And then I started thinking that Teddy doesn't have any of the hard responsibilities that a parent does.  Teddy doesn't have discipline him. Teddy always greets him with EXTREME enthusiasm.  Teddy is the snuggliest dog ever.  Teddy never gets upset with him.  Of course a he would miss him a great deal.  

And that's o.k. too......

because I'm good enough, and smart enough, and by golly, people like me!


Much love and many laughs!

A





No comments:

Post a Comment