Sunday, June 12, 2011

Summer camp begins!

I sent my boy off to a week of summer camp today.  He went with his buddy across the street.

I didn't get to take him.  Our neighbors drove them.

We'll be picking him up at the end of the week, but I didn't get to help him make his bed today.

Also, I didn't get to help him get his suitcase situated.

When we packed, I showed him where his swim trunks were.  He wasn't paying attention.

When we discussed what he was to wear during the theme nights, he was playing his Nintendo DS.

How will he know to brush his teeth at night?  He knows he's supposed to, but when he's distracted, he sometimes thinks he has when he actually hasn't.

Who is going to make sure he really does brush his teeth?  He will be staying with about 11 other boys and one "counselor" who is probably only 10 years or so older than him.  Is he concerned about my child's dental hygiene?

Who is going to help him find a place to hang dry his wet clothes?

Do I sound sad?

I'd be lying if I wasn't a little down.

He's growing older, and it tears me up.

You see, he's tender hearted.  A true sweetheart.  He's not the kind of kid you send off to camp with "whew" -we'll see you in a week.

And I love him.  I love him so much.

We prayed for him.  We prayed for a safe trip for them all.  We prayed for God's protection for him and for all the other campers.  We prayed that he would grow in his relationship with Christ.

I know God is in control.  I have complete faith in Him.  I know God loves him more than I could even begin to fathom.  It brings me peace and comfort.

That said, I think I'll drive him to camp next year:)

And maybe get my "happy medicine" jacked up a bit in the meantime.


Much love and many laughs,

A

No comments:

Post a Comment