Thursday, August 11, 2011

For the Jane Austen fans....

"The fallout"  
a scene from P & P.



Context:  Darcy botched the marriage proposal to Lizzy.  Truly astonished that she would not jump at the chance to marry him, he inquires as to why she would refuse him.    




Scene:


Darcy:  (stunned and angry)  "And this is your opinion of me!  Thank you for explaining so fully.  But, perhaps these offences might have been overlooked had not your pride been hurt by my honest confession of the scruples that had long prevented my forming any serious design ...........Could you expect me to rejoice in the inferiority of your connections?  To congratulate myself on the hope of relations, whose condition in life is so decidedly below my own?"




(internet photo)



Lizzy:  (hopping mad)  "You mistake me Mr. Darcy.  The mode of your declaration merely spared me any concern I might have felt in refusing you, had you behaved in a more gentleman-like manner."  


"You could not have made me the offer of your hand in any possible way that would have tempted me to accept it." 


"From the beginning, your manners impressed me with the fullest belief of your arrogance, your conceit, and your selfish disdain for the feelings of others.  "I had not know you a month before I felt you were the last man I could ever marry."
(internet photo)




How is that for a come back?  Now that's what I'm talking about!








Much love and many laughs,


A







No comments:

Post a Comment