Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Dickie

On a recent spring break trip, I noticed something strange.  In truth I had noticed it some time ago, but
for some reason during this trip, it dawned on me how silly it was.  Lately, it seems that all"chain" hotels
have discontinued use of the industrial-strength polyester quilted bedspreads in favor of more modern
"hotel"brand style bedding.  I love it!!! I couldn't be happier.  After seeing an investigative report on
what really IS on hotel bedspreads, I'm happy to have clean, crisp white bedding.  The bed looked warm
and inviting.  When I sat down and started to put my feet under the bedding displayed at the foot of the
bed, I noticed it.  Sitting there looking like real bedding (even if it was the industrial strength and made of 
polyester) was the culprit.



This bed doesn't look too bad-does it?  




Hang on....Just go with me on this one...






(This photo was courtesy of the internet)

Do you remember these?  Yes, the turtleneck dickie.  Designed to give you the layered look with out 
actual layers.  You just hoped and prayed that the edge of it did not slip out.  Then everyone would be 
on to your clever little ruse.

I think they're still sold at some fine stores.  You can find them near the knee-hi's and socks with cats on them.

My favorite memory regarding the turtleneck dickie was from this movie.  


(photo courtesy of internet)

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation-a true classic.  Randy Quaid's skin-tight white 
sweater with the black turtleneck dickie underneath pretty much summed up public opinion the matter. 
If for some reason you don't know what that opinion is, then call me and we can talk:)
So back to the hotel bedding,  I realized that the strip of fabric at the end of the bed was the modern day 
turtleneck dickie.  It's only purpose is for looks, not for actual use.  It is only there to up the "cool & 
stylish" quotient, but not to go so far as to actually be so cool or stylish 
whilst actually accomplishing the opposite.  





                                                            It just seemed so odd...




     Much love and many laughs,

    A


















1 comment:

  1. That reminds me of the time we were taking yearbook group photos, and the band kids were wearing their dickies. Needless to say, it led to an awkward moment when one of the boys on the front row had to be told to tighten his cumberbund because his dickie was sticking out.

    ReplyDelete